Monday, February 20, 2012

How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?

I am looking to purchase a Honda Civic or Accord, one that I found had 228xxx miles on it, how much longer do they last? Also, what are common problems and issues with Hondas? Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?Any car, properly maintained, can run for millions of miles. Parts of the engine, if not the entire engine will need to be replaced eventually. The car you are looking at could die tomorrow for all we know. I'd say if they made it to 228k miles, they've maintained it well, but you'll have to continue maintaining it as well to make it keep going.How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?
Trust me Honda cars last for a long time, my friend had a Honda accord its mil age is at 290,000 and its still running like it was brand new, as long as you maintain your car, your good to go

Report Abuse

How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?228000 is getting close to the end of its run. i had an 86 civic hatchback and now my little bro drives it and its almost there. for the price you will pay for a new honda you can get a lot better deals, but i would definitely recommend them as a used car that will just keep going.
I had a Honda Civic, 1994 I think. It drank oil, but it was a good car. I think 228K is pushing it for any car. You'd be looking at a new motor or transmission/clutch soon, at the very least.How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?my 1990 Accord was bought brand new back in the day, and it's engine lasted till there was 195,xxx miles on the speedometer.



So...maybe that's the answer.How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?
I would say about three days short of forever. Proper maintaince along with proper driving equals forever
It all depends on how the car was treated during its life. I had a 1989 Civic as my first car that was my neighbors who drove the hell out of it. He always changed the oil and plugs religiously as well as kept the timing in order and kept all the belts and hoses fresh. The car finally needed a new engine at 327k miles. That car has been to Vegas and back more times than I can count. Keep your Honda happy and it will do the same for you.How many miles is the average lifespan for a Honda Civic or Accord? What do you think about these cars?
I have a 95 Civic with 135,000 miles and its still running strong. Mechanic says the engines last forever with good maintenance
uness its under 1000 dollars you are WASTING you money. It is a the end of its life.

But just like people we are expected to die At 85 but lots live to 100
My daughter has a 1999 Civic with 216,000 miles on it. We bought it new, so it's had "Daddy Style" maintenence and has never been overheated.



The only problems we have had are the drive axles (replaced twice) and it had a penchent for eating batteries until we discovered there was a wiring problem that was drawing current from the battery when the car was off. Honda fixed that free.



To this day, the car does not burn oil, gets about 26 MPG combined and the air blows as cold as it did when it was new.
You could be in for some major repairs with that many miles. I would look for one that is around 100,000 and with good maintenance, Hondas can seem to last forever.
That pretty high mileage. That is usually the biggest problem with purchasing a used car. I would try and find an auto with less miles and be sure the car was regularly serviced ask owner for proof of oil changes, etc.
Honda's usually dont get completely broke in until 80,000 miles after that is when they are at there prime. 228,000 is a little much, thats basically scrap-even if its highway miles...its still way too much. Civics and Accords are great cars as long as you take car of them. They are very cheap to fix up. I wouldnt buy any car with over 130,000 miles on it and expect it to last more than a year.
I have a freakin' '92 Civic and it's running strong! I've had almost no problems with it in 13 years. I've had to pump very little $ into, too! I think they're some of the best cars ever made, super reliable, and supposedly, you can expect to get lots of miles from 'em! They're pretty small, but I'm well-endowed, so I'm fine with that! They ain't the sexiest things in the world, but I look good, so my car doesn't have to!
I've owned both. Can't go wrong with either one. Just bought two new Hondas' A 2006 ELEMENT and a 2006 CIVIC LX 4 door. They're both great. The civic is the hottest car on the market today. If you're looking for a new one you may have to wait for it depending on where you live.
My son had an '85 Accord with 220K on it when he wrecked it!
I would go to epinions.com and look for reviews on the Honda Civic. It's an excellent review site for all kinds of products. It's a bit like Yahoo Answers - people get rewards for good reviews and being known as good reviewers.
3-400,000 miles..or more, depending on how they were maintaned. No issues..great cars.
one word...F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!
depends on how u use the car. stupidly or drive it right. it also depends if the transmission has been changed. hondas last a while. common problems also depend on how u treat the car. how much they charging u?
I had a customer with 550k on his Accord

And one with 345K on a Civic

Change the timing belt and keep the oil changed and they run for many many miles.

The automatice transmission are not very great they have problems with those but the 5spd models are great.
that 228 k miles is the only problem. the car is ok . i think the spares are bit costly comparing to other japanese cars
I have a 1994 Honda Accord, 5 speed that has 200,000+ miles on it (I have owned it since 1998 with 65,000 miles on it). I drive it extremely hard ( I have a lead foot), and It still runs perfectly... all I do is change the oil about every 6,000 miles or so. I have had minor things replaced, the speedometer, a/c condensor, motor mounts replaced, brake master cylinder, timing belt, CV joints, starter, but no major mechanical problems. This is my third Honda Accord, and they have all had almost 200,000 miles on them and were still running fine when I sold them. The one thing with '94 Accords is the CV axles go bad and need to be replaced every now and then on my year model.
I bought a 2001 accord brand new, and have not had any problems with it at all, I only have 89,000 miles but so far so good
228 is high mileage for any car ok



honda cars are the best affordable cars on the road except for some german cars but those are pretty expensive



anyhow, its hard to say 228 is pretty high up there



everyone i've ever known who has owned a honda, civic, accord, crv and their vans has been very well satisfied, they are designed better and last longer than any american made car



i wouldnt buy a car with that amount of miles on it, but then i assume you dont have a lot of money to spend



if you are going to buy a car with that many miles, i'd buy a honda before anything else



toyota and nissan also make very good products



shop some more is my opinion
Honda is great car, but 228k. Ouch
It really depends on how regularly the car is driven, how often maintainance is performed, and if they are mainly highway miles or city miles. To be honest, 228k is kind of a lot, WITH regular maintainance I'd say 250k - 300k would be the max. You could except some gasket leaks *aka oil* among other small issues such as electrical (starter, alternator, A/C).
Hondas and Toyotas are pretty much the best (overall) vehicles for total mileage. As long as the oil was routinely changed and the car wasn't abused, I would expect at least 300k out of the car.



Beyond typical wear items, such as brakes, timing belt/chain, maybe an alternator or cv joints, there are no real weaknesses. Some of these may cost $1000+ to repair, and most will probably happen within 200k-300k miles. You should ask what repairs have been made so far.



Here is a forum that might help your decision: http://www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php
a Honda can easily go about 350,000 miles. as long as the timing belt, water pump and gaskets are changed every 90,000 or so. and regular oil, tranny, radiator fluids are changed. you might find problems with "kat" and o2 censer, and change axels
I bought an accord that was 10 yrs old and ragged out-which i didnt know-with about 170,000 miles on it and then i put another 75k on it and ragged it even more and just did basic up keep. Never had any issue with it... So after I sold it I bought a brand new fully loaded civc last yr and I am sooo extremely pleased with it! It seems bigger than it actually is in the backseat tho thats the only drawback! Its gets average of 35-40mpg too and it only costs about 30$ to fill it up- with gas being at 2.75$/gal

No comments:

Post a Comment