Sunday, January 29, 2012

What would make a Honda CBR1000 battery to constantly die?

I just bought a 1994 Honda CBR1000. As soon as I pulled into my driveway, it died. I bought a new battery and was able to ride 3 times and it did it again. I have been told that it could be the Stater (I know I misspelled it) or the Rectifier Regulator, again, please forgive my misspellings...Can anyone explain what makes these parts go bad?What would make a Honda CBR1000 battery to constantly die?I have a Honda ST1100, and I think it has a lot of the same electrical parts. I had a problem with batteries dying, and after the 2nd battery I figured out it was my voltage regulator. I got a new one and it solved the problem. It's kind of expensive for a little piece of black plastic. But it's the only problem I've had with the bike in 65,000 miles so far!



Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the bike is running. With the bike idling it should be just over 12 volts, 12 point something. When you rev up the engine to 3000 or so, you should see the voltage jump to 14 volts. If not, it's probably your voltage regulator.What would make a Honda CBR1000 battery to constantly die?
I have never had a stator go bad.

Even heavily overloaded ones.

With my bikes, it has always been the rectifier/regulator.

Sometimes a bad diode in the rectifier, usually the regulator is fried.



If your husband has a manual and a multimeter, the checks are easily done.

Never install a new battery without fully charging it first.

That's a bad habit that will stress even a healthy charging system.What would make a Honda CBR1000 battery to constantly die?The stator is like a cars alternator and produces an alternating voltage which is converted into DC current by the Rectifier or Voltage Regulator. What usually happens with the stator is the windings inside will short and take out the voltage regulator, and than your running on you battery alone. This rarely happens close to home!

If you have come to this point(as I did), replace the Stator, Regulator, and Battery, but since you just bought the battery just charge it back up when the other two components are replaced. You may wish to install a voltage gauge to keep an eye on the charging system as well.

Ride SafeWhat would make a Honda CBR1000 battery to constantly die?
A bike that old it could be several things, but my first thought is the stator.What would make a Honda CBR1000 battery to constantly die?the charging system isn't working. take it to a bike shop and have it checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment